- About Us
- Contact Us
Ontario is helping reduce electricity costs for families, businesses and farms. As of January 1, 2017, introduced an 8% rebate for Ontarians. Read more about this program…
Due to high volumes of SPAM email, some emails will occasionally be blocked or bounced.
If you get a bounce, or do not receive a response please contact 705-474-8100 x273 to resolve the issue
Electricity has become an essential part of our lives and there are countless ways in which we benefit from the use of electrical power on a daily basis. Although electricity is readily available, and totally safe when used properly, it can also be dangerous when misused or abused. It is important that you follow some necessary safety precautions and as your power provider, North Bay Hydro has outlined some strict safety practices to ensure your safety. The following safety tips can be used to teach you and your children to always keep electrical safety in mind.
Electricity always seeks the shortest path to the ground by finding a conductor, such as metal, wet wood, water – or your body! Your body is 70% water so if you touch an energized bare wire or faulty appliance while you are grounded, electricity will instantly pass through you to the ground, causing a harmful – or fatal – shock.
The amount of electricity used by one 7.5-watt Christmas tree bulb can kill you in a fraction of a second if it passes through your chest. Even if it isn’t fatal, electrical shock can easily cause serious falls, burns, cuts, or internal bleeding.
To ensure highest safety standards, all electrical wiring should be installed by a licensed electrician and inspected by the ESA (Electrical Safety Authority). Your house or apartment could be inadequately wired if:
1.Lights dim and motors slow down when an appliance goes on.
2.Fuses blow or circuit breakers trip frequently.
3.Toasters or irons fail to heat properly.
4.The television picture shrinks.